Well, hello there summer! #Wanderlust
Plane ticket? Check. Hotel booked? Check. Suitcase packed? Check. Ok, so you’re summer holiday is right around the corner and you’re ready to jet-set. One last thing before you seal your bags and see the world, download some travel apps!
Back in the day, travelers used to carry along guidebooks when exploring the world, but who needs the extra pounds of numerous tourist books in your luggage? Today there is virtually an app for anything you need waiting for you in the palm of your hands. We’re talking about apps that are designed to make travelers feel safe and navigate easily. These apps make travel safer, cheaper and more practical and they’ll soon become your new best friend.
We did our research to determine which tools are the most useful for your next international trip, so check out our handpicked list below.
- Foodspotting – Searching for that perfect foodgasm? Foodspotting is an app where people can post photos, write reviews and recommend food dishes. Travelers can find whatever their craving and what’s most popular in the area. The app is very visual; making it extremely easy to browse through pictures of nearby dishes and discover what looks good. All you need to do is look up your location, find your favorite restaurant, search for a specific dish by name or type, follow experts and bookmark the foods you want to try or recommend those that you love. Easy!
- Google Maps – Having Google Maps along your side during your travels is one of the best decisions to make when exploring new places. It’s literally known to be the “killer app for the modern tourist”. Widely-regarded as one of the best navigation apps around, travelers will find it very reliable in many countries. Whether it’s searching for public transportation or restaurants close by, this app will have you moving around like a pro.
- Whatsapp Messenger – Stay connected with friends and family for FREE, without paying for SMS. All you need is a WiFi or a 3G connection and you’re set. Fast, reliable and simple to use, travel is more fun when there is no cost attached to it and Whatsapp is the perfect tool to communicate with others. Whether it’s for safety purposes or letting your fellow backpackers know where you are, you can easily share your location, send audio notes, show your current status and coordinate group chats. Many consider it their favorite text messaging app.
- Like a Local – No one wants to feel like a tourist, but everyone wants to feel like a local. Like a Local is an app that brings you the best tips from the people that live there. The app focuses on things to do and places to see in the city of your choice. The app is assembled by hundreds of local writers who recommend sites to visitors that are not tourist traps, bar options, restaurants and other steals. For those looking for a truly unique travel experience, Like a Local brings you every hidden gem there is to find in the area.
- Tinder – Yes, that’s right. Tinder. Traveling solo and craving a little bit of social interaction? In today’s world, there has never been a better time to be a solo traveler. Believe it or not, dating apps are a great way to meet new people while traveling the world and no, we are not referring to casual hook ups. The app uses your Facebook account to suggest possible matches with nearby users based on interests. While exploring new places, Tinder is a great tool to use if you’re seeking to meet up with backpackers/visitors in the area and interested in new adventures with new people.
If you’ve come to the conclusion that you’re the type of person who likes to plan their own trips without the help of tour guides or travel agents, then look no further to your Smartphone. So before your departure, make sure you have these five apps downloaded. Last but not least, enjoy your vacation!